ACCC says it won’t block Foxtel-Fox Sports merger

The competition regulator has green lighted the proposed merger between Foxtel and Fox Sports saying it won’t reduce completion.

Rupert Murdoch’s News Corp owns Foxtel jointly with Telstra and it owns 100 per cent of Fox Sports.

The merger will see News holding 65 per cent of the merged entity with Telstra holding the remaining 35 per cent. The merged entity will also enter a number of agreements with Telstra.

The Australian Competition and Consumer Commission said it would stand in the way of the merger.

It said it had looked at how the merger would affect different markets and took in feedback from various parties.

“The ACCC won’t oppose this merger after finding that the commercial incentives of Foxtel, Fox Sports, News, and Telstra will not be substantially altered. Therefore, the change in ownership structure is unlikely to substantially lessen competition,” ACCC Chairman Rod Sims said.

“Foxtel and Fox Sports have a close and long-standing relationship, operating within the ownership of News and Telstra. Given News’ current interests in both Foxtel and Fox Sports, it would be unlikely that Fox Sports would be made available to competitors of Foxtel in the absence of the merger.”

 



An award winning author and journalist, commentator, lecturer, and speaker, Leon is a freelance business journalist who covers a range of areas including politics, strategy, globalization, leadership and all the big trends ahead. His main skill is summing up all the news that’s around. For the last 30 years, his main focus has been on management issues. He also produces two podcasts for RMIT University, Talking Business and Talking Technology. Leon has worked for Fairfax, News Limited, AAP and the Herald and Weekly Times.


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *